Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"Waiting"


Hello All,
Katie here. It has definitely been a long time. I hope this blog post finds everyone doing well. Things have been pretty busy here in Ghana and I am going to try my hardest to keep you up on everything. As for us saying we were going to do this weekly... haha whoops! But as we are in the 3rd week of Advent, and temperatures averaging in the high 90's... I am still not believing that Christmas is 9 days away.
Life in the classroom is going great. Since I got back from the States, Meg and I have been doing lots of fun things with the kids. We made caterpillars after reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar, started animals in science and the kids are loving it, keeping up with addition facts in math, and teaching the students about Advent in Religious and Moral Education. Meg has been giving them a new prayer each week, and we light candles in the room. The kids are OBSESSED with the candles and had a slight heart attack when they saw a green candle... (we are using green because we couldn't find pink). It is the little things that crack me up with these kids.
Today in school we had our Christmas Play that Meg busted her butt working on. It was AMAZING. The kids did an awesome job and it was adorable. I am sure she wants to talk about it, but I just had to mention it because it was not only hilarious but so good for only 6-10 year olds. I posted a pic of the wisemen from the play... Samuel I., Nana, and Isaac N.
The title of this blog post is WAITING, coming from the meaning of Advent, and describing the feeling Meg and I share right now. We are both not only WAITING for Christmas, but waiting for the end of this first term in the classroom, and waiting for our visitors to arrive in Ghana.
Tomorrow is our last day before break and the kids call it "Our Day". Basically, they come to school from 10-2 to eat, play games, and receive gifts. I am pretty excited to see them each get their own bag of little presents. You have to remember there is no Santa Clause here, so this is most likely all they will receive this holiday season.

Meg and I have big travel plans coming up so I am going to wait to blog about that when we get back. We are going to Wli Falls in the eastern region of Ghana. It will just be us two so wish us luck, and stay tuned for an update.

Other than that, life is good. I am still thrilled to be here. Even though it is disappointing being in 90 degree weather when it should be snowing... to have Christmas here is going to be something to remember forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment